Thursday, January 8, 2009

Fantasy Movie Soundtrack 1

Lotta Love, Nicolette Larson
Strange Magic, ELO
Strawberry Letter 23, Brothers Johnson
The Year of the Cat, Al Stewart
Have You Ever Been Mellow, Olivia Newton John
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, The Band
Dancing in the Moonlight, King Harvest
Wishing on a Star, Rose Royce
If You Could Read My Mind, Gordon Lightfoot
Wildfire, Michael Martin Murphy
I Just Got To Be Free, Minnie Ripperton
The Darktown Strutter's Ball, Alberta Hunter

I see New England, summer, late 1970's. I see bicycles and wraparound porches with swings on white houses at the end of a street. I see the families that only come up for the summer, martinis, crossword puzzles, wood-paneled station wagons with cloth seats. I see bare feet and men in short shorts and ice cream and cousins visiting from out of town and embarrassing photos. I see dogs without collars.

I see halter tops that tie above the belly button and beach umbrellas and a job at the restaurant on the pier, the restaurant that always smells like fried clams, even in winter, I see moms with too much time on their hands.

I see girls with ideas, girls with agendas, girls lying in the sun eating fruit, I see a family fight through a picture living room window. I see pastels, ginghams, ribbons. I see a gray morning. I see one sibling teaching another how to dance, packages in the mail, a new family being created, sitting on the hoods of cars, learning to smoke, learning to drive, kissing, tearing up. I see being excited to get back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment